Ultimate Amiga

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Where has the AMOS source gone?  (Read 19285 times)

SparkyNZ74

• A600
  • Generic Amiga User
Where has the AMOS source gone?
« on: March 24, 2017, 09:30:32 PM »

I have been trying to find the old AMOS source which used to be here:
http://web.archive.org/web/20070218224453/http://www.clickteam.com/eng/downloadcenter.php?i=58

Can somebody please tell me where I can find this now, or perhaps where I can get a copy of the latest development repository? At this stage I'm only curious to have a look and I don't intend making any changes to what you guys are currently working on.

Ideally I would love to find the source for AMOS Pro and perhaps AMOS 3D if it was ever available.

SparkyNZ74

• A600
  • Generic Amiga User
Re: Where has the AMOS source gone?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 09:35:23 PM »

bruceuncle

• AMOS Dev
  • A500
  • WINUAE Amiga User
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 02:14:22 AM »

Hi SparkyNZ74,

I'm afraid those sources are only going to confuse you.  They relate to AMOS prior to the AMOS Pro 2.0 release.

I don't know where it's located now, but the official release of the V2.0 sources was in a Zip file.  Courtesy of a generous agreement from the authors to make it public.  I've attached my copy of the original (which should probably go into the Download Section on this site).

Be aware that the sources don't all exactly match the release binaries for AMOS Pro V2.0.  The differences are  minor but significant.  +Lib.S has an rogue asm "illegal" instruction in the InIffAnim3 code (probably left over from a debugging session).  +Editor_Config.S has a different number of strings in the run time errors, and has some flags set differently.  (The Editor Config accessory gets the number of strings in the config file completely wrong too!)

Be aware the +W.S also requires "case sensitive" to be switched on when it's assembled.  It contains duplicate labels that are only differentiated by case.

There is no real repository for the AMOS V2.10 upgrade as I seem to be acting as collator for any bug fix solutions and enhancements and they're in a constant state of flux as I work on them.

Repeat after me ...  "The AMOS Pro architecture is complex but it is not complicated."

Mia

• A600
  • Generic Amiga User
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 09:08:03 PM »

I have been trying to find the old AMOS source which used to be here:
http://web.archive.org/web/20070218224453/http://www.clickteam.com/eng/downloadcenter.php?i=58

Can somebody please tell me where I can find this now, or perhaps where I can get a copy of the latest development repository? At this stage I'm only curious to have a look and I don't intend making any changes to what you guys are currently working on.

Ideally I would love to find the source for AMOS Pro and perhaps AMOS 3D if it was ever available.

I have an unofficial build system that is complete - there's loads of stuff that won't work in that archive - I've been meaning to mention that I'm maintaining a  buildable branch of 2.00 with some of Bruces 2.10 fixes that I've been able to glean - I've rebuilt all the build commands and scripts and stored anything missing that you can't build - there's also a new Editor_Resource.Abk with some extra features that Bruce has worked on and new graphics and macros by me.

execute the Makefile and it'll build into the 2.10 folder...

should work out of the box and let you catch up quicker.

put the AMOSPro.s folder in the root - I think the scripts look for :AMOSPro.s

Sidewinder

• Forum Mod
  • A600
    • http://www.liquido2.com/
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 07:13:22 PM »

Would it be prudent to put this code in some kind of central repository?  I know I would like to participate in the development process but I don't know what the current status is or where to find the latest code or where to commit changes.

Would it be possible to take Mia's code and put it on GitHub or BitBucket or something?

Also, do we have access to the AMOS Pro Compiler source code?  What about the source code for other extensions like 3D, AMCAF, or TURBO?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 08:52:39 PM by Sidewinder »
- Sidewinder

Mia

• A600
  • Generic Amiga User
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 05:20:57 PM »

Would it be prudent to put this code in some kind of central repository?  I know I would like to participate in the development process but I don't know what the current status is or where to find the latest code or where to commit changes.

Would it be possible to take Mia's code and put it on GitHub or BitBucket or something?

Also, do we have access to the AMOS Pro Compiler source code?  What about the source code for other extensions like 3D, AMCAF, or TURBO?

hi, yeh that was actually my intention - I have a GitHub account - but I don't know what's going on - I've offered, I've asked, I've waited - but my posts regarding this don't seem to be understood

The compiler is in there, fully working.

The 3d extension is there, it's the original C code based one with a wrapper assembly code - when built it doesn't work - I'm looking into it, as I believe I can sort that.

I've also got 1.2 and 1.3 mostly done - the intention is to fully understand the progress from version amos 1.2 to pro 2.0 - anything any other developers have done isn't documented and has pretty much disappeared - I know Bruce has been doing some magic with a special method to disassemble some of those extensions, but I haven't seen any modification or re-building of them. and because of the missing parts of the source I believe a lot of confusion has been created about "what to do about it all" - - it took me quite a while to fix it up, so hopefully it will help others catch up and anyone still interested can collaborate - I'm going to wait for a bit as there are quite a few toes in here that I may step on, but my intention is to use git even if no one else wants to -  I'm using AMOSPro almost every other day (evenings) for a year now (since my revival ;) and It's completely stable for me.

Sidewinder

• Forum Mod
  • A600
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 11:16:58 PM »

Mia, I think we really need to set up a git repo.  This business of posting zip archives on the message board is confusing and honestly we really need a central location to keep all the code, docs, and all of bruceuncle's excellent investigative documentation.  I say just go for it.  For those who don't have access to git (is anyone developing on a real Amiga here) we may have to figure out some other method of merging their changes, but git is the standard.

I personally believe we need some additional collaborative tools as well.  Like maybe an IRC channel in addition to this forum for communicating about AMOS development.  It's been several years now since we've have the source code and announced work on 2.10.  I know bruceuncle has been working hard on this and also had some setbacks medically and such, there should be people to step in and help.

I was looking though your zip archive, and I found apcompiler.s which I guess is the AMOS Pro compiler code.  Did you say the 3D extension has C code, or is it an assembly source file generated from C?  Is that 3d.s?
- Sidewinder

bruceuncle

• AMOS Dev
  • A500
  • WINUAE Amiga User
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 02:29:00 AM »

I have difficulty tracking down the attachments to my original posts  :) , so I'm posting a series of attachments that cover most of what you guys are trying to find out.

Could these please go into the downloads section so that people can find them?  Pretty please  :-*

Just a recap of some of the history:

First, there was NO documentation on the original AMOS Pro V2.0 sources.  The zip archive is just a dump of the development environment from one of the developers.  So it contains all sorts of sources that were (presumably) used in taking AMOS Pro from V1.xx to V2.0.  The first task was to rationalise this lot and check the relevant sources against the binaries in the V2.0 distribution.  That threw up a few little headaches but easily solved.

There were also a number of versions of the V2.0 binaries out there with some fixes in them.  These were obviously assembled from the sources (rather than hacked in) but those sources were not available.  No idea who the authors were but they obviously had access to the original sources.  The early V2.10 release fixed all those and got rid of the slight differences in between the sources and the binaries.  One I missed was the source for the Editor Config file (now also fixed and will be in the attachments in the following posts).

Some sources were completely missing.  I've re-created them and they're also in the following posts.  (I had to as I needed to add an extra menu item to the Editor  ::) .)

As I said up front, it probably takes a while to track down the info in some of my posts.  But I don't want to take any more time out of the work I'm doing to go through it all again  ::) .  And it looks like you've found most of it already.  So I'll leave that for you to spend a couple of evenings reading through it...

On with the status...  It's very hard to get a repository going for this code as currently I've got the Editor, AMOSPro. AMOSPro.Lib and most of the accessory programs all over the kitchen table at the moment.  And I've found it difficult enough keeping versioning going successfully in an Amiga environment with my own code!  What I would suggest is that you go ahead with your ideas calling it V2.10.  I'll rebadge to V2.20.  Any good ideas coming out of your work can be integrated later.  My version diverges quite a bit from the original architecture:

• The Help System is radically different as AMOSPro checks for individual help files as it loads the libraries.  This allows help files to be written for extensions and 'plugged in' simply by adding the *.txt and *.map files alongside the library files.  It also uses sorted lists of the AMOS Tokens for the *.map files instead of text.  So a quick tokenise and binary search is used instead of the slow text search.  The Help file text is still being rewritten, which is a mammoth task in itself.  I do a bit until I go crazy and then do something else for a while to get my sanity back  :o .
  • Just about all the screens now allow a wheel mouse to be used for scrolling.  This change goes through anything using DBL code (which is most of AMOS! - learn DBL code!) and the Editor.
  • The Editor allows the user to define Syntax Highlighting.  This takes some free space in the Editor Config file and in the A5 offsets.  I'll publish what I've 'reserved' so we don't clash.
  • Quite a few of the Accessories also have bugs.  So the fixes spread into *.AMOS sources as well as the *.s sources.
  • I haven't looked at the compiler code much as it would just be another distraction at the moment.  However one of my fixes cuts into the compiler code.  So I'll rationalise that and publish the changes.  More than anything else, the compiler is what needs looking into...

Enough blather.  The first set of attachments is for the original sources and their dependencies.  These are documentary only but you need to know where you're coming from.  The source texts have been parsed through a database app I wrote.  That allowed the columns to be aligned and a consistent EOL comment regime to be imposed when they were output.  The originals also contained a lot of debugging conditional assembly which got confusing when tracing through the code.  These have been left in place (you never know when you might need something similar) but commented out.  The sources are easier to read if the syntax is highlighted but not everyone's got a suitable text editor that does that.  So I've also included PDFs for anyone that can't do that themselves.

More to come today (and probably tomorrow as my back's now killing me and I've just realised I need to edit something out of a couple of the missing sources for the Editor Menus - my additions.)
Repeat after me ...  "The AMOS Pro architecture is complex but it is not complicated."

bruceuncle

• AMOS Dev
  • A500
  • WINUAE Amiga User
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 02:31:57 AM »

These docs are unfinished.  I Just took them far enough to understand how AMOS Pro pulls all the libraries in and handles the relocation and linking.  Essential reading before you do anything with AMOS...

bruceuncle

• AMOS Dev
  • A500
  • WINUAE Amiga User
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 02:36:30 AM »

I upgraded the DBL Editor recently.  This guy is essential to anything meaningful with AMOS.  Most of the AMOS Pro GUI is either directly or indirectly coded in the DialogueBoxLanguage used for Interface programming.  I can't emphasise enough how important it is to learn DBL and use it.

Also a couple of utility accessories in the V1.38 directory.

There's a Read Me, so I won't blather on here...

bruceuncle

• AMOS Dev
  • A500
  • WINUAE Amiga User
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 03:12:16 AM »

This is the archive for the Resource-ing of the AMOS Extensions as collected by Lonewolf10.
It's in two parts due to size restrictions.

To use them, you'll need to learn a fair bit about Resource (supplied and documented).  This is a bit of a steep learning curve but well worth it.  The reason for not outputting *.ASM files is that they would be a bit meaningless without some suitable Labels and Symbols relevant to each Extension.  And Resource is far better at handling this than any text editor that I've come across.

The most useful will definitely be worth upgrading to the "AP20" standard.  I forgot to mention in an earlier post that there will be an "AP21" standard (maybe I should change it to "AP22" now  ;) ).  This has an extra word following the "AP21" token that defines what environment the extension requires to run.  AMOS Pro can then politely reject it if running in an unsuitable environment.  For example, I may be wrong, but I seem to recall that at least one extension library is in 68020 or higher code!

I won't be doing anything further with these until after everything else is completed.  Feel free to dive in...

Part 1 is attached here.  Part 2 follows.  (Sizes too big!)

bruceuncle

• AMOS Dev
  • A500
  • WINUAE Amiga User
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 03:13:14 AM »

And Part 2.

More tomorrow.

Mia

• A600
  • Generic Amiga User
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 05:16:43 PM »

@bruce Cool, thanks for archiving it all in this post, good idea 8) I think I've been able to get those previously, and I believe most has been absorbed into my build already. It's only had the 1 download so I think it'll be fine to do what-ever  ;) - my intention was to archive it as-is to give a platform for others to build upon later. I want to do a full git history of the changes, so I'll clean it up a bit more and get it on GitHub asap, i'll create a new account for it and then fork a copy for myself.

bruceuncle

• AMOS Dev
  • A500
  • WINUAE Amiga User
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2017, 09:10:36 PM »

More stuff...   Sorry about the delay.  I hadn't created the source for +Dialog_Funcs.Bin as I'd already checked what it contained a while back.  When I did I found a couple of bugs in the code for +Lib.s that use it.  So I've corrected those as well.  Nothing disastrous (and doesn't affect any existing DBL code).  They involved the handling of the "@" (unused) and "|" (logical OR) characters.  Luckily, some bugs in Sample_Bank_Maker.AMOS meant that they would normally be rejected when it compacts a DBL source and stores it in a bank.  And my own DBL editor avoids it (purely by accident!  ::) ).  That's what I meant about distractions and the problem of keeping the source integrity intact.  I find it hard enough keeping my own sources aligned...  I have nightmares about trying to do team-build alignment in an Amiga environment.

This attachment includes some V2.10 sources that you will need to be aware of to see what I've (selfishly  :o ) reserved.  I'll do the source for +Editor_Config.s to complete the picture.  I hadn't bothered with correcting it and adding my changes as the problem was to update the user's editor config in-situ (to preserve their settings and changes) rather than start them off with a new one and have them do all their own changes again.  Reason being that the V2.10 install can cheerfully just backup the old and copy the new files while AMOS Pro is running.  Everything is in memory, so replacing files has no effect until the user restarts AMOS.  So I've (nearly) got an AMOS program that backs up and updates the user's config file instead.

Zip Contents:
+Dialog_Funcs_Bin.sSource for AP20
+Editor_Menus_Asc.sSource for AP20
+Editor_Menus_Asc_AP21.s     Source for AP21 - DO NOT USE!
+Editor_Menus_Bin.sSource for AP20
+Editor_Menus_Bin_AP21.sSource for AP21 - DO NOT USE!
+equ_AP21.sSource for AP21 - DO NOT USE!

I've included some of the V2.10 sources for information only.  Please don't use them as you'll need all the other stuff for them to work.  The probable exception is +equ_AP21.s where the additions should make no difference (but I haven't checked that yet - just being cautious).

Next is the V2.10 +Editor_Config.s so you can see what I've reserved there.  There's also reservations in +Editor.s but that opens a whole can of worms where you'd need the rest of V2.10 for it to work (*.s, *.abk and *.AMOS) and that's not complete enough for release yet.  I'll just document what to avoid...

The non-V2.10 sources should go into the Downloads section to complete the snapshot of the original V2.00 sources needed to build AMOS Pro.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 09:13:10 PM by bruceuncle »

Sidewinder

• Forum Mod
  • A600
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2017, 09:19:02 PM »

@Mia, I've been thinking a bit more about how this could be organized most efficiently for development, and I'm curious how you're going to do the full git history.

The way I see it, we have  four things that need to be tracked.  They are all related, but not necessarily dependent on each other.  The source code, the support files (accessories, extras, etc.), the extensions, and the documentation.

@bruceuncle, you're free to continue working on 2.10 as you have been.  Mia could create a 2.10 branch and all your code could go there.  Other developers can create their own branches and work on whatever they need to and later we can choose which other mods get pushed back into the 2.10 branch before release.  Do you have access to a git client?
- Sidewinder
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

TinyPortal 2.2.2 © 2005-2022